Mental Health

The Disability tool Kit

Although mental health isn’t always visible, it is just as important as physical health and can be just as life-changing. There is a huge range of mental illnesses that somebody can suffer from, and the Students' Union has compiled a list of these along with local and national contacts for each campus when you might need help. Please see the disability toolkit and skip to the mental health section.

You can also view our blog post on some warning signs of mental health struggles, how to take care of yourself, and how to look out for your friends.

How can I access support for my mental health within the University?

If you feel like you are struggling with your mental health, come and talk to the Students' Union and we can point you in the right direction. There is a friendly Wellbeing team within the university that offer free, confidential wellbeing check-ins and support. During this check-in, they will discuss with you what your options are and what might be the best route for you. If you would like to refer yourself to the Wellbeing team, you can contact them on

After your wellbeing check-in, you may decide counselling is the right route for you. As a UCA student, you are offered free, short term counselling. If you are experiencing anxiety, depressed feelings or emotional difficulties, this might be something that can help. You can go to counselling for issues relating to university life, or for something occurring outside of the university. Speaking with a counsellor might offer you the support and clarity you need to help you through your emotions and offer a safe space to unload your feelings. To access a counsellor, contact the Wellbeing team through the email above.

How can the Students' Union support me with my mental health?

At UCASU, we want to ensure that you are supported as much as possible throughout your studies and mental health is very important to us. We employ an Advice and Wellbeing Coordinator who can speak with you and advise you on your wellbeing, and signpost you to the right person or organisation who can best help you with your issue. You can contact our Advice and Wellbeing Coordinator at