If you have moved away from your home town for university, there is a chance you may experience homesickness. Homesickness can happen when you are away from home for the first time, or if you go away often and it can happen to anyone. Some symptoms of homesickness include feeling lonely, depressed, feeling anxious, social withdrawal, and missing anything that reminds you of home. Below are some tips on how to combat homesickness:
- Bring something from home that brings you comfort to university.
- Keep in contact with family and friends from home, via call, facetime or skype.
- Take care of your mental health, or reach out for support if you need it.
- Teach yourself to cook the meals you might usually have at home.
- Allow yourself time to get used to the new environment, new friends and new people.
- Get involved in campus activities, build yourself a community where you are.