ALL STUDENT MEETING MOTION 2: IMPROVING THE QUALITY AND VALUE OF FOOD AT UCA
Proposer: Jasmin Grimshaw, Rochester Campus Officer
Seconder: Asher Carnell, LGBT Officer at Rochester Student Council
This Union Notes:
- A survey was conducted across all areas of the university and SU.
- The survey, titled Big Ideas, stated that out of those asked, 14.86% of students wanted improvements made within the catering department.
- The focus of the complaints about catering concerned: pricing, quality and choice of vegetarian and vegan options.
This Union Believes:
- That the current pricing is unacceptable and not suitable for students.
- That the meals should represent good value for money as students currently argue that it doesn’t.
- That healthier options should be available at a reasonable and student-friendly price.
- That as a diverse institution there should be more vegetarian and vegan options available.
- That as part of a healthy local community, the University should consider using local companies as their suppliers.
This Union Resolves:
- The Executive Committee to lobby the University to reconsider its pricing within the catering department.
- The Executive Committee to encourage the University to use locally sourced foods.
- The Executive Committee to lobby the University to remain an inclusive institution by providing more options vegan and vegetarian on a day to day basis.
- For the Executive Committee to encourage healthy lifestyles by challenging the catering department on the promotion of healthy foods.
- For the Executive Committee and individual campus Officers to work in partnership with the catering departments to consistently liaise with students on the quality of their service.