NO PLATFORM POLICY
Valid from: 27 January 2021
Reviewal date: 27 January 2024
The Union notes:
- That racism and fascism are still rife in all aspects of society and should be confronted wherever uncovered.
- That students and Students’ Unions have a long proud record of achievement in the fight against racism and fascism.
- That the Union itself should be at the forefront of campaigns to combat prejudice on the form of ethnic origin or religious belief i.e. racism, fascism.
The Union believes:
- That a no platform policy is a key element in the fight against racism across all campuses.
- That the no platform policy compliments standing Equal Opportunity polices and the Public Order Act.
- That no platform policies safeguard members from being subjected to lies, bigotry, and hatred expressed by racists and fascists.
- That members are unaware of the policy’s implications, what it concerns, as well as definitive spaces and areas it applies to.
This Union resolves:
- To not allow any individual known to hold racist or fascist views from entering Union premises and reject individuals on University property.
- To not allow any individuals known to hold racist or fascist views to speak at an event associated with the Union.
- That no written or recorded materials containing fascists or racist comments shall be distributed with the Union or Union premises.
- That no elected officer of the Union will speak on a platform with an individual known to hold racist or fascist views.
- To widely publicise this policy to its members and the institution.
- To incorporate the policy into the Union’s disciplinary procedure and use accordingly.
- That it is the responsibility of the Executive Committee to educate members on the issues surrounding the policy.