Mutual Aid Assistant
£10 per hour
Multiple vacancies, temporary contract (will run until scheme is no longer operating)
Variable hours depending on needs and availability
Application Deadline: Ongoing
Please note: Even if offices or campuses close, this role will continue on a work from home basis
About Mutual Aid and the role
UCA Students’ Union is running a mutual aid scheme similar to those seen in neighbourhoods across the world as a community response to the Covid-19 pandemic. The scheme will link students seeking practical support while self-isolating with those wishing to provide help. At the moment we expect this support to entail delivering groceries and medicine or other aspects of student living.
We are recruiting for a team of students to help us administer and operate the scheme. Mutual Aid Assistants will connect volunteers to those seeking support and help make the scheme run efficiently. The job description below provides more detail about the role:
Deputy Chief Executive (Membership Engagement)
- Being the primary point of contact for students wishing to volunteer for the scheme or access support from it.
- Allocating volunteers to support requests and tracking these interactions.
- Ensuring the efficient operation of the scheme.
Being the primary point of contact for students and staff wishing to volunteer for the scheme or access support from it.
– Handling requests to volunteer with the scheme (volunteers).
– Handling requests for support from the scheme (recipients).
– Work with relevant stakeholders across the Students’ Union and University to improve the quality of service for students.
Allocating volunteers to support requests and tracking these interactions.
– Use our mapping system and database to locate the closest volunteers to support requests.
– Liaison with volunteers and recipients via text or telephone.
– Follow up each interaction to measure success or understand issues.
Ensuring the efficient operation of the scheme.
– Keep mapping system and database up to date.
– Keep accurate records of interactions.
– Identify improvements to processes.
– Maintaining regular communication with volunteers to keep them up to date and improve the scheme.
– Adhere to confidentiality and data protection and GDPR regulations.
Dependent on uptake of scheme and your availability. Shifts will be available from 9am – 8pm with a rota system in place.
- Currently studying at the University for the Creative Arts
- Can work methodically using set processes and systems.
- Is comfortable speaking to potentially high numbers of people via telephone.
- Is comfortable handling and using large amounts of data using spreadsheet software.
- Wants to help people needing support.
- Is able to maintain strict confidentiality.
We particularly encourage candidates who are BAME, LGBTQ+, International, or disabled to apply. Our core values as a Students’ Union are focused on liberation and opportunities for all – we aim to offer the most inclusive environment possible, and this includes trying to ensure our staff team reflects the experiences of our students. If you have any questions about accommodations you may need, or want to have a chat to find out more about the values and attitudes of our team, feel free to contact Sophie Jackson via email@example.com
Application process is through the form below.