£26,000 per annum
5 days per week (35 hours per week)
Location: Farnham, GU9 7DS
Responsible to: Chief Executive
Responsible for: Ad-hoc bookkeeping support
Application Deadline: Monday 16 March 2020
Interview: Friday 27 March 2020
Application process is through the application form found at the bottom of this page. Should you wish to discuss the role prior to application please contact Andy Squire, Chief Executive, on 01252 89 2629 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
To apply, please use the form at the bottom of this page.
About the role
University for the Creative Arts Students’ Union is a registered charity providing representation, support and activities to its 6,000 members across four campuses. We have a turnover in the region of £500,000 generated from grant and trading income.
You’ll find the Union’s environment friendly, supportive and brimming with positive energy. At the same time, expect your skills and talents to be challenged as you work to help the Finance function drive its services and support to the rest of the organisation. Be sure that, in return for your enthusiasm, passion and hard-work, we will build on your experience and you’ll develop further practical finance and accounting skills in a vibrant organisation.
Your Job Purpose
- Provide an efficient and effective sales ledger, purchase ledger and general ledger function for the Union ensuring that financial transactions are processed accurately and timely on to the Union’s financial systems;
- Carry out balance sheet analysis in doing account reconciliations;
- Ensure payroll is run on time every month;
- Provide assistance to our outsource agency in regard to their production of VAT returns, and participate in audit preparation and statutory accounts activity.
- Assist in the production of management accounts and other activities that inform strategic and operational decision making
Your Key Responsibilities
Purchase, sales, general ledger
- Receiving invoices for payment and providing an initial check to ensure that they have been coded correctly (including VAT) and appropriately authorised through our Purchase Order system;
- Liaison with budget managers, staff and external suppliers to resolve queries in relation to payments;
- Processing payment runs;
- Monitoring outstanding creditors & investigating balances
- Preparing journals (including payroll journals);
- Reconciling central billing statements;
- Ensuring fixed asset additions have been processed in accordance with policy
- Purchase invoice entry
- Credit card reconciliations
- Ensuring internal and external finance procedures are followed
- Run reports from Sage as required
- Advising Chief Executive on Accounts Payable issues
- To coordinate monthly wages for all casual staff;
- Provide the outsource agency with all relevant information in time for processing and responding to queries in a timely manner
- Ensure salary payments to staff, HMRC (PAYE), and pensions are received on time by setting up BACS and direct debit transfers each month.
Sales Ledger and Credit Control
- Enter transactions, showing income from commercial and Union activity onto the finance system;
- Enter sundry bank receipts, including income collected via web, card receipts, interest and other income onto the finance system;
- Raise sales invoices (e.g. for sponsorship and event income) as requested.
- Completion of sales ledger and customer account reconciliations;
- Update sales ledger customer account and cashbook when income is received;
- Liaise with customers regarding any queries sales invoices; and
- Monitor aged debtors and actively manage the recovery of debt, liaising with budget holders and customers, and keeping a record of communications.
Clubs and Societies
- Process journals as requested, including allocation of Union grants to individual clubs and societies;
- Helping to facilitate regular reporting for clubs and societies; and
- Assist in resolving any queries regarding clubs and societies funds.
- Assisting with development of new financial systems and controls across the organisation;
- Assistance in bank reconciliations; and
- Other finance tasks as directed by the Chief Executive (e.g. filing and supporting other team members as required – e.g. during periods of absence or busy periods).
|At least three years’ relevant experience performing Finance duties.||Essential||√||√|
|Experience of a computer accounting package, such as Sage, plus a good level of competence in Excel.||Essential||√||√|
|Sales/Purchase ledger experience.||Essential||√||√|
|Experience of processing financial data accurately.||Essential||√||√|
|Demonstrable experience of working effectively on own initiative.||Essential||√|
|ATTRIBUTES AND SKILLS|
|Excellent communication skills (written and oral), and ability to explain information clearly and deal with customers and other stakeholders in a confident and diplomatic manner.||Essential||√||√|
|The ability to work effectively in a team.||Essential||√||√|
|An eye for detail plus the ability to produce accurate work when under pressure.||Essential||√||√|
|Ability to create and maintain strong working relationships.||Essential||√|
|IT competent with a working understanding of finance systems and Excel.||Essential||√||√|
|VALUES AND ETHICS|
|Desire to work within a democratic, student-led environment.||Essential||√|
|Understanding and commitment to equal opportunities.||Essential||√|
|Desire to work within organisation servicing a culturally diverse membership.||Essential||√|
|Committed, positive, outgoing and approachable with a ‘can do’ attitude.||Essential||√||√|
|Demonstrably high standards of personal integrity.||Essential||√|
In addition, all staff are expected to contribute to the team in the following ways:
- To deliver and develop targets outlined in the Union’s strategic plan.
- To contribute and assist in the Union’s planning processes and the review of its performance and systems.
- Contribute to the positive and professional image of the Union and not act in such a manner as to bring the Union into disrepute.
- To observe and uphold the requirements of the Union Constitution and act at all times in accordance with policies including equality of opportunity.
- Undertake any other duties appropriate for the grade and responsibilities of the post that may from time to time be reasonably requested.
- Environmental consideration and environmental best practice is the responsibility of all Students’ Union staff.
- Any other tasks that would be deemed suitable within this role as directed by line manager.