Support BDS (Boycott, Divestment, Sanctions)
Valid from: 16 May 2018
Reviewal date: 16 May 2021
The Union Notes:
- The crimes committed by the Israeli government against innocent Palestinians and international law.
- That Israel’s construction of a separation wall, and Jewish-only settlements in the occupied West Bank, has been labelled ‘illegal’ by the ICJ (International Court of Government) and UK government.
- That BDS action has been endorsed by; NUS (National Union of Students), NUT (National Union of Teachers), TUC (Trade Union Congress), UCU (University and College Union), over 25 UK Students’ Unions, notable non-profit organisations, trade unions, and grassroots networks across the globe.
The Union Believes:
- That the Union should be active in campaigns which concern human rights.
- The BDS movement is capable of persuading both private and public bodies to reduce their complicity in Israel’s violations of international law.
- That this policy has no intention to negatively impact or divide any community within the University for the Creative Arts. This is not to do with religion, it is concerned with human rights and preserving the safety and livelihood of the Palestinian population.
- This is not an attack on the Israeli people, it is against the policies of the Israeli Government. UCASU will continue to continue to support all students, including Israeli students.
The Union Resolves:
- To publicly support BDS. To find a full list of companies and organisations that we will lobby to boycott visit https://bdslist.org/full-list/
- To encourage academics and other campus unions to support BDS.
- That the Union must announce when the BDS policy is due to lapse and their reviewal of the policy.