There are 8 part-time roles that UCA students can run for in the Election, however you must be a continuing student into the 2022/23 academic year:
- Higher Education Canterbury
- Higher Education Epsom
- Higher Education Farnham
- Higher Education Rochester
- Open* Canterbury
- Open* Epsom
- Open* Farnham
- Open* Rochester
*Open denotes any student can run (FE, UG and PG)
The elected 8 part-time officers (PTOs) come from all four campuses, representing issues from their respective area as well as the wider student body. They sit on Union Council and can make significant change within UCASU and the University by voting on motions put forward by other officers and/or students. They support the Presidents and UCASU staff with events and student voice as well as having staff support with their own manifestos. From September 2022 there is the opportunity for Further Education (FE) students to be co-opted as PTOs and join Union Council, there is one FE space on each campus taking Union Council membership up to 12.
What does a PTO do?
Why should I run for a PTO?
- Member of Union Council; this all student committee, made up of Presidents and part-time officers, discuss both SU and University matters as well as create and vote on motions that impact the running of the SU.
- Student representation for not only your respective campus but the entire UCA student body, taking feedback from students to Union Council and higher
- Deliver on elected manifesto points
- Get involved with the planning and running of SU events
As a part-time officer, you have the fantastic opportunity to be directly involved with the Students’ Union, have a say in how large scale events are run, be responsible for elevating the voice of 6000 students as well as delivering on projects and campaigns that matter to you.
In your volunteer position, you’ll learn invaluable transferable skills such as communication, influencing others, teamwork and more - all of these will look great on your CV, not to mention the experience you’ll gain to back them up.
You’ll have the support of a great staff team as well as the two Presidents and we can provide training and social opportunities to benefit.